Dr. Jitendra Nagpal
|08 am-10 am|
|10 am-12 pm|
|12 pm-02 pm|
|02 pm-04 pm|
|04 pm-06 pm|
|06 pm-08 pm|
I am proud to be a psychiatrist and treating issues related to mental health and its various dimensions. Driven by my mission of unlocking the secrets of mind-transformation and demystifying everyday success-paths for common people, I have been successful across varied psychiatric interventions. I have been associated with some of the leading psychiatry hospitals in India for 20+ years.
I conduct stress management sessions for various MNCs and corporate companies. I am a regular columnist and consultant on leading national media, both print and electronic (Doordarshan, CNN, IBN, Times of India Group, India Today, Hindustan Times, NDTV India, Jain TV and SAB TV). It has been an honour to be associated with the leading newspapers and media channels for expert suggestions on various psychiatric disorders (e.g. drug addiction, panic attacks, phobias, schizophrenia and neuro-psychological impairments) as well as managing various emotional, relationship and self-image related problems.
My education and training
|DNB||Psychiatry, National Board of Examinations, India (1994)|
|MD||Psychiatry, AFMC, Pune, India (1993)|
|MBBS||Osmania University, India (1989)|
My publications and papers
- Regular columnist for adolescent and youth career related and wellbeing Issues in HT Education of Hindustan Times (2008 to till date) and Employments News of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, New Delhi (2016-2017)
- Editor-In-Chief of the newly launched “Indian Journal of School Health and Wellbeing”
My awards and accomplishments
- Excellence Award for ‘School Healthy Heart Initiatives in India’ (2007)
- ‘Delhi State Child Welfare Award’ for distinguished services in Child Development, Department of Social Welfare, Govt. of NCT of Delhi (2005)
- Corporate trainer and technical expert in the field of mental health and psychosocial wellbeing in the community
- Chairperson, Child Health Committee & Member of New Education Policy (NEP) - 2015, Sub Committee at NCERT, New Delhi. (2015 - till date)
- Chairperson, Association of Indian School Counselors and Allied Professionals (AISCAP) which seeks to empower, support and streamline the school counselors and allied professionals in their role to effectively promote child and adolescent wellbeing in an inclusive environment.
- In-Charge of Program Study Centre at Moolchand Medcity for the Master of Science (M.Sc), in Counseling and Family Therapy (CFT) course, launched by the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Coordinating Member of SMARTGRAM Initiative: A Pilot Project Based on the Rashtrapati Bhavan Smart Township Experience (2006 - till date)
- Member, Expert Committee to Develop Prototype Aptitude Test at the National Level for Class – IX, Ministry of Human Resource Development Department of School Education and Literacy (2016 - till date)
- Member, Advisory Group, Child Mental Health Committee, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), New Delhi. (2016 - till date)
- Member, Committee for Development of a SOP for Rehabilitation & Restoration of Juveniles, Ministry of Women and Child Development, New Delhi (2015 - till date)
- Member, Central Social Audit Committee for Exploitation of Children in Orphanages vs. UOI & Ors., Ministry of Women & Child Development, New Delhi (2015)
- Member, Technical Resource Group (TRG), Adolescent Health, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Nirman Bhawan, New Delhi (2015 - till date)
- Member, National Focus Group on Health and Physical Education in the formulation of the National Curriculum Framework (NCF) 2005 by NCERT (2004-2005)
What I'd like to tell my patients
There are no lab tests, brain scans, X-rays or chemical imbalance tests that can verify any mental disorder. For example depression and anxiety are symptoms, not diseases. Proper diagnosis of such conditions plays a key role in the treatment.
I use an integrated bio-psycho-social approach to explore psychological issues for a thorough understanding of an individual’s emotional and psycho social state. With the detailed evaluation of patients’ background and medical history, I formulate personalized management plan for them.
For children with psychological problems I would say “children learn what they live”. It is very important to impart them with life skills in their formative years. My message to the parents is to watch the environment in which their child is growing up and intervene when things smell fishy. More importantly they should watch their own behavior as parents as it is one of the biggest influencers in a child’s life.
For adults I would like to advise them to trust their doctor and do as they prescribe. Constructive home environment is very important for positive outcomes and complete emotional healing and I try my best to build one for my patients. The journey to mental wellness is difficult but it is not impossible and I’m here to assist you at every single step.
The stigma of mental health is one of the greatest burdens people can carry, causing a lot of pain in their lives. My point is simple – “Mental health struggles can be helped and stigmas can be removed”. Mental disorders are not diseases. All it needs is a little love and affection.